Friday, August 17, 2012

Day 676 Effie's Rattlers

As my husband and I were walking I came upon a snake coiled up on the road soaking up some mid-morning sun. Before I could get my camera up, he slithered lickety split into the brush. We then gave him a wide birth and continued on our way. As we were nearing the end of our journey we walked towards the center where we found a rattler in the middle of the driveway. I wondered why it was there then noticed it was injured. It was severely mutilated at the end near it's rattler. I thought maybe it could be saved so I stood guard while my husband ran up to the center to get the snake some help. I blocked traffic so no one would run over it again. I did take my camera out and snapped a few while I waited for my husband. It was moving very lethargically. By the time my husband arrived back I though it was dead. He said they didn't seem to interested. I guess snakes get run over quite a bit. Still I wished we could have helped the poor thing. I know nature is brutal, but it was a car not nature. By the time we drove away from the center the snake was coiled up in the center of the driveway. I guess it wasn't as dead as I thought. But by the time of this posting, a few hours later it is for sure dead. Here is a picture of this doomed snake.

No comments:

Post a Comment