Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Day 19 Robert


I was snapping away in my son's apartment, waiting for him to get ready to go grocery shopping, when a man appeared out of the bedroom area. Robert had been fixing the fuse box or doing some kind of electrical work for the apartment. He was hot and sweaty, just what I wanted a hot and sweaty man. I began throwing my camera around willy nilly all in fun while he stood there with a smile. I photographed him drinking a large glass of ice water and all the while I kept seeing the side of his face and the sweat dripping in the light. I knew all my thrashing about of the camera wasn't catching what I saw, his face. So I said after taking 92 pictures of nothing, o.k. now it's for real, let me get a couple of nice shots. He stood smiling while I took three more pictures.
I took a photography class a couple of years ago, taught by a very successful photographer, who after viewing pictures of mine very similar to this one, told me to loosen up, loosen up. I think of that comment when I'm out there in the wilds of life looking for that all mighty photograph and I loosen up. But in this case, all I could see was the light gracing Robert's countenance. So I'm happy with my tight shot. And next time just call me loosey goosey.

2 comments:

  1. Hey im really glad you chose this one, I really like it. Alot of people don't realize the difference between just snaping shots with a camera and all the things involved with being a photographer. I'm very proud because I know your so great at what you do! Keep it up Love your son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steven, nothing is better than hearing nice words like these spoken by someone you love.

    ReplyDelete