Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Day 20 Edgar aka "Sonny"




Sometime in April I spent a couple of hours talking to Sonny and photographing him in black and white film. Since starting this blog I have been wanting to go back and get a color digital picture of him. Several times while driving down Ninth street I noticed he was moving things out so I stopped by today. He said he was hoping to retire and be out of the building by June 1st. While I admit there is far less stuff there now than when I visited in April, it still seems like a difficult task to get rid of so much stuff. But good stuff he says. "Brand new stuff that I don't want to throw away, I've thrown enough away already." He showed me two awesome hotel safes from the early 1900's. They both weigh about 4,000 pounds and he's hoping to sell them for $500 a piece but says they are probably worth between $1,000 and $2,000. Sonny took over the boat repair business when his father had a heart attack in 1957. Originally the business was across the street but has been at this address for the last 14 years.
Editing... I had 15 pictures I liked of Sonny and his business, but this is a one photo a day blog. I tried my best to edit wisely. And yet, could only edit it down to three pictures. Oh well... Photographer yes... Editor no...

No comments:

Post a Comment