Friday, August 7, 2009

Day 99 Tomato factory



Once again I was home from the fair at about 11 pm and not wanting to set up a picture at home "tomorrow" I decided to go out after midnight and get a photo. My drive home takes me past a tomato factory which looks really cool with all it's shinny metal pipes and smoke blowing out. Since starting this blog I have wanted to go out and get a picture of it. But usually I'm to tired or already have my picture for the day. Wanting to shoot something "tonight" I drove out there. I parked my jeep on a dirt edge where a few other cars were parked.
Now having been a photojournalist and having photographed businesses before I know they can be pretty nervous about people taking pictures so I thought I would hurry up. However, it was so much fun photographing all the metal pipes and smoke and I was trying this new process where I let my mind accept any unexpected photographic gifts. Like a motorcycle which passed by or people passing by me and including them in the picture. I had this preconceived notion of how the picture should look and it was fun straying away from that concept. So I lingered there longer than I wanted, and sure enough guy in white shirt with a badge comes along asking me what am I doing. I inform him that I am taking pictures and that I am standing on a public street. He insists that I give him my name and I decline to give it because I am doing nothing wrong, this is America and my first amendment rights allow me to stand on a public street and take pictures. Of course he says he doesn't care about the first amendment and I tell him he should since he is living in America and obviously working in America. I don't like men trying to bully me. I also told him if he would be silent and listen I would tell him what the pictures are for. So I gave him my blog address, but only after I made him acknowledge that I was doing so because I don't care who looks at my blog and that it had nothing to do with him trying to intimidate me and after I made him say please, when he heard my blog url he laughed because he said he thought it was funny I'd call it the worst photographer ever. I told him I'm certainly not the best. I also asked him if the big wigs over there were afraid I was a tomato espionage spy.
A fair question because I remember photographing the goat milk making factory as a journalist and they insisted I didn't photograph certain things because they didn't want their Russian visitors to learn all their goat milk making secrets. So the guard wrote down my license plate number and I left. I left only because I was done taking pictures.
I have two pictures to share today. I did get all the pictures I planned of pipes and smoke but I like these two as they are different from what I was expecting to get. They are also very different from each other. I am drawn to both of them for obvious different reasons.

As a foot note I realize now about twelve hours later that I should have photographed the security guy. That would have been leaving myself open to accept the photographic gifts the universe gives you. This is a learning process.

4 comments:

  1. I have to say I love that confidence in yourself! Way to go! Don't ever let some lug head tell you what to do. As for these pictures I want you to know that it is 100% my unbiased opinion that they are better than good. I especially like the top one. It must be as you are going along you worry less about what others think and do what you know is good. I feel in this short time you've already made great progress. My favorite part is looking forward to your pictures to come. PS I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Steven.
    You always say the nicest things.
    I'm proud of you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Diane. This is Jim Cruff. I am the photographer that has been at the concerts this week.

    I really enjoyed reading about your encounter with the security guard. I have been waiting for an encounter like this but I guess I have been pretty lucky so far. Good for you for standing your ground the way you did. Obviously, you were well within your rights.

    I really like the photograph of the tomato factory with the stop sign. I like the way the steam (or smoke) plays against the black sky. Good color balance too. That's not an easy scene to balance.

    Nice work.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you,

    I like that picture too. I like how busy it is with all the posts and the stop sign, even the orange traffic post helps.
    Looking forward to tonight's concert with Huey Lewis. He's awesome with his harmonica!

    ReplyDelete